Boxty Crispy Irish Recipe: This Easy Potato Pancakes Recipe From Ireland Has Its Own Irish Rhyme | Accompaniments
Boxty is an authentic Irish hash brown recipe originating in the 1700s. Grated or finely chopped potatoes are mixed with flour and a few other ingredients, then fried until crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. You’ll find boxty in shops and restaurants across Ireland. There’s even an old Irish rhyme about boxty:
“Boxty on the hot plate; boxty on the pan. If you can’t boxty, you’ll never have a man!
We don’t know how to get a man, but you’ll get lots of compliments if you make this easy boxty recipe for St. Patrick’s Day – or any day!
This potato recipe takes a shortcut and starts with frozen hash browns. Serve plain with sour cream or top with a garnish such as vegetables (sautéed mushrooms would be delicious!), cheese, cabbage, pickled red onions, herbs, sauerkraut or chicken. You can even serve them for brunch or breakfast with bacon or breakfast sausages.
Type of cuisine: Irish
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Total duration: 30 minutes
- 3 cups frozen hash browns, thawed and chopped (you can use grated fresh potatoes)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- butter or vegetable oil, for frying
Here’s how to do it:
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Melt about 1 tablespoon of butter or vegetable oil in a skillet. Put 1/4 to 1/2 cup potato batter in the pan (the amount will depend on the size you want the pancakes). Cook until bottom is golden brown, then flip and cook until other side is golden brown, about 2-4 minutes per side. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- If you are making larger pancakes, fold them in half before serving, like an omelette.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community and follow us on facebook to get daily recipes in your News Feed. Inspire and be inspired.
Related products on Amazon that we think you might like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by connecting with Amazon.com and affiliate sites.