Country Fried Steak Bites with the Alabama Cattlemen’s Association
MOBILE, Ala. (WKRG) – This week on Cooking with JohnJohn Nodar is at home in the new WKRG kitchen where Ali Cantrell will show John how to cook country fried steak bites.
The recipe and instructions are as follows:
- 1 pound beef strip loin, boneless
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup rapeseed oil
Hot sauce White sauce:
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 pinch of kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons Louisiana hot sauce
- Cut the steak, across the grain, into ½-inch-thick rectangular pieces. Whisk the buttermilk and egg together and place them in a bowl. Add steak pieces to buttermilk and egg for soaking.
- Combine flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika in a small bowl. Reserve 1 tablespoon for the sauce, but the remaining amount will serve as a coating for the piece of steak.
- Place a cast iron skillet or heavy skillet on the stovetop over medium-high heat. Add the canola oil and heat the oil to 350°F. While the oil is warming up, remove the individual steak pieces from the buttermilk, shaking off the excess buttermilk, then place each piece in the flour dredge, again shaking off the excess flour. Place the steak pieces on a plate. When the oil is at temperature, carefully add the steak pieces to the pan and fry for one minute on each side, or two minutes in total. Remove the pieces and place them on a few sheets of paper towel.
Stay ahead of the biggest stories, breaking news and weather in Mobile, Pensacola and the Gulf Coast and Alabama. Download the WKRG News 5 news app and make sure to enable push alerts.