Treat the Family to Mac and Cheese Banana Peel Bagels with Nadiya Hussain’s Recipes
WANT to brighten up your dinner?
Nadiya Hussain is causing a stir with a new book and series packed with exciting recipes for the whole family and original interpretations of dinner time favorites.
From puff pastry mac and cheese to chocolate salami, we’re sharing four surprising recipes from Bake-off winner Nadiya’s Fast Flavors.
Nadiya’s Quick Flavors, by Nadiya Hussain, (Michael Joseph) are available now, £ 22.
And watch the series on BBC Two Thursdays at 8:30 p.m.
SWEET CINNAMON PESTO
NADIYA says, “It’s pesto, just a little reinvented – or actually a lot, because it’s sweet and there’s no pasta in sight.
“Made with nuts, chocolate, spices and coconut, this pesto, like any pesto, is a CPU-drain type situation.
“Perfect for a quick dessert, served alongside a rainbow of tropical fruits and cookies, it’s easy but impressive and will be a bit of a crowd pleaser.”
Serving 6 to 8, Preparation: 10 min, Cooking: 20 min
- 100g pine nuts
- 120g white chocolate, plus additional shavings
- 40 ml of coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 30 g coconut shavings, toasted
- Sliced mango
- Sliced kiwis
- Cigarrillo wafer cookies
- PREHEAT the oven to 160 ° C / convection 140 ° C. Start by toasting the pine nuts in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Let cool then add to the food processor and reduce to fine crumbs.
- Now melt the chocolate, add the coconut oil and mix until melted.
- Add pine nuts and cinnamon and mix well. Arrange in a serving dish.
- Toast the coconut shavings over low heat in a non-stick skillet for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Sprinkle toasted coconut shavings and chocolate shavings over the dip.
- Surround the bowl with an array of colorful fruits, cakes and cookies and serve.
CHEESE AND UFS SANDWICH
NADIYA says: “As the meals go on, it’s huge; perfect for a lazy Sunday morning or a late brunch.
“There’s everything – bread, eggs and cheese – all baked and folded in one pan, with tangy pickles and a hot, oozing center. It’s not only fun to eat, but also fun to prepare.
Makes 1, brew 10 minutes, cook ten minutes
- Frying oil
- 4 medium eggs
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon of chili flakes
- Small handful of finely chopped fresh chives
- 2 slices of white bread
- 1 tablespoon large pickle
- 50g red Leicester, finely grated
- Start by pouring a little oil into a large non-stick skillet and heat over medium heat.
- Break the eggs into a bowl with the salt, chili and chives and mix well.
- Turn down the heat of the oil and pour in the egg mixture, making sure you have an even layer.
- Take your two slices of bread and lay them open so that they are symmetrical. Place the two slices of bread in the flowing egg and leave until the egg is cooked.
- Flip onto a large plate or board so that the slices of bread are no longer visible. Return to the dish.
- Spread visibly shaped tops with pickle bread.
- Flip the edges of the egg inward over the pickle on all sides.
- Add the cheese to one slice of bread, turn the other piece over and cook until the cheese is melted (about 2 minutes), making sure to press down with a slice of fish to encourage the cheese to melt and stick the bread together, with the egg.
- After the cheese has melted and the egg bread has welded well, remove the pan from the heat and give it a few minutes or you will burn your mouth, then cut and enjoy.
BANANA SKIN BAGELS
NADIYA says: “During lockdown, I revealed my love for banana peels – nothing new to me, but new to many on social media.
“Yes, that banana peel that we all normally throw away is edible and full of potassium.
“One of my favorite ways to cook it is just in this garlic barbecue sauce and stuffed into a chewy bagel with spicy cheese and pickles.”
For 4 people, Preparation: 15 min, Cooking: 15 min
- 6 ripe banana peels (about 400g)
- 4 tablespoons of oil
- 2 small onions, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons of brown sauce
- 1 tablespoon of ketchup
- 4 bagels
- 4 slices of spicy Mexican cheese
- 8 slices of pickle
- Wash the banana peels thoroughly and dry them. Remove and discard the hard stems, then cut the rest into thin strips about 3 cm long.
- Pour the oil into a small nonstick skillet and lower the heat to medium.
- Add the onion and cook until golden and dark – this should take about 5-10 minutes, so not very long.
- Add the garlic and stir, cook for a minute. Now add the banana peel and salt and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add barbecue sauce, brown sauce and ketchup and toss to warm.
- Turn on the grill.
- Take the bagels, cut them in half and pop the eight slices on a platter.
- Cover the bottom four halves of the bagels with the banana peel mixture.
- Add the cheese on top and grill until the cheese is really melted and the top halves are golden brown.
- Take out and add mayonnaise to the top four halves. Add the pickles to the cheese, cover with the tops of the bagels and they’re ready to eat.
MAC AND CHEESE
NADIYA says: I have a dozen different ways to make mac and cheese.
“This is the slightly psychedelic version of my kids, made from their favorite puffed cheese chips, which they devoured as a child.
“The extra cheese and the bright orange color of the powdered cheese puffs are mixed with the mac and topped with breadcrumbs.
“It’s fun, it’s delicious and it’s bright!”
Serves 6 to 8, Preparation: 25 min, Cooking: 45 min
- 400g of macaroni pasta
- 30 g unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons of flour (30g)
- 600 ml whole milk
- 170 ml of evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon of yeast extract
- 450 g grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons of Worcester sauce
- 8 16.5 g packets of cheese puffs, powdered
For the top:
- 50g breadcrumbs
- Cheese puff crumbs
- 50 g grated cheddar
- Start by cooking the macaroni according to the instructions. When the macaroni are cooked, drain them, rinse them in cold water and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200 ° C / ventilation 180 ° C.
- Prepare the sauce by putting the butter in a saucepan and sautéing over medium heat.
- When the butter is melted, add the flour and whisk. Gradually add the milk, whisking all the time until incorporated.
- When the mixture begins to thicken, add the evaporated milk and the yeast extract and cook until the mixture is thick. Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add the cheese to the sauce and mix until melted.
- Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and half the choux pastry, then add the macaroni and mix.
- Pour it into a baking dish and even out the top.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs, remaining cheese puffs and grated cheese.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Take out and let stand 10 minutes before eating.
We pay for your stories!
Do you have a story for the Sun News Bureau?